Exporting VM with XenCenter
From Biowikifarm Metawiki
This operating procedure describes export of a Xen Virtual Machine using the biowikifarm setup and XenCenter 6.0.
(Note: should XenCenter fail to connect with the servers, check XenCenter proxy settings!)
- Open the secured VPN into the FU (Citrix)
- Open a RDP to the .59 management VM. Although a local XenCenter can be used in principle, this is sensitive to network interruptions and therefore not recommended.
- Open XenCenter on the remote machine
- If not yet done, briefly stop the VM to be exported and create a copy of it using Fast Copy. This usually takes only 1-2 Minutes.
- Make sure that the .41 IP is free (may require stopping a VM on the old XenServer!)
- Now right-click on the VM and select "Export".
- In the export dialog:
- Location to export is X:\, Format OVF/OVA
- Advanced Options: Network settings MANUAL (sic!): 184.108.40.206.41, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 220.127.116.11
- Advanced Options: With Compression: Yes, Single file IT DID NOT WORK on the .41. On the .59, with both options off, it did work!
- Note: At the start of 2013, the export of the biowikifarm would take about 15 h (compressed, with verification)
- To reduce the size of transfer units (despite resume functionality, huge files may occasionally fail, perhaps when the dynamic IP is changed over night) and further compress, we typically use 7-zip, with a small package size 0.7-4 GB).