The modularized Diversity Workbench (=DWB) represents a virtual research environment for multiple scientific purposes with regard to management and analysis of life sciences data. The framework is appropriate to store different kinds of bio- and geodiversity data and facilitates the processing of ecological, molecularbiological, observational, collection and taxonomic data. It is capable and flexible enough to be applied as data storage unit for institutional data repositories. The DWB is set up on a xml-enabled relational database system. Clients of every database of the Workbench are used as stand-alone applications and provide supporting functions to clients of corresponding databases. This results in a high flexibility with regard to the conceptual design, enabling sophisticated user administration and a rapid setup of project-specific and user-adapted entry forms. Further, it facilitates the dynamic integration of web services and external data resources.
The Diversity Workbench suite developments are mainly done by the IT Center of the Bavarian Natural History Collections (Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns, SNSB) in Munich, together with partners in Bayreuth and Berlin.
The Diversity Workbench is being documented on a Wiki running on biowikifarm:
There are several other project wikis in the biowikifarm run by the SNSB IT Center, e. g. the
- Bayernflora wiki (citizen science communication platform of the Flora-von-Bayern-initiative)
- COST-MOBILISE wiki (wiki platform for members of the COST MOBILISE work groups)
- IDES wiki (RI project for digitalisation of recent and fossil fish collections)
- LIAS glossary (part of the LIAS information system)
- MOD-CO wiki (research project on standard for meta-omics data of collection objects)